This is the updated version of the original page which has been archived.
Adult off-peak caps: From 2015 the adult off-peak caps in zones 1-6 are set at the same level as the anytime or all-day caps. They are still different though, so that if you have a discount entitlement or are using a zip Oyster then the levels are reduced.
One of the real complications with the new system concerns the difference between peak and off-peak. The daily price cap operates between 0430 in the morning and 0430 the following morning. Obviously Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays are off-peak all the time. For Monday to Friday the day is split into five periods with four different meanings as follows:
|Time of Touch In*||Actual Rate Charged||Counts towards which price cap|
|09.30-16.00||Off Peak||Anytime, Off Peak|
|16.00-19.00||Peak||Anytime, Off Peak|
|19.00-04.30||Off Peak||Anytime, Off Peak|
* Remember, if your journey stretches between two of the periods in the table above, the rate and caps are decided by the time of the first touch in. Any subsequent touches of any description make no difference to the charge for that journey.
On weekdays your travel updates the Anytime total and, if appropriate, the Off-Peak total as well. If either total exceeds the cap for the zones travelled in then your charges are capped. Thus, if you make one journey starting before 0930 you are likely to hit the off-peak cap before the anytime cap. Bus and tram travel also counts towards the independant daily bus cap, such that after 0930 it will only charge if none of the three caps have been reached.
Note: I am now calling the peak cap “Anytime” because that better describes the way it works. You are always adding to the anytime total unless you first reach the off-peak cap.
As with all rules there are a number of exceptions.
- If you start a journey outside zone 1 between 1600 and 1900 and finish it inside zone 1 then the off-peak fare applies. (from 2015 this is true for all rail journeys).
- All travel between Euston and Watford Junction before 0930 is charged at off-peak fares as is travel the other way between 1600 and 1900.
- There are a number of earlier starts to the off-peak cap from stations at the extremeties of the Oyster area. Touch in after the times given in the following table will count towards the off-peak price cap, but note that the single fare charged will still be the peak fare until after 0930:
|Station||Time of Touch In|
|Chalfont & Latimer||09:20|
|Watford High Street||09:10|
* Warning: first train from Chesham is not until 0934. You are not advised to touch in before 0930 or you may be overcharged.
** First trains from Hatch End are 0931 (northbound) and 0932 (sounthbound). If you will not reach the off-peak cap during the day you are advised to leave touching in until the last minute.
Note: The early start to the off-peak cap from Purley was removed from September 8th 2014.
This page updated 02 January 2015.